Sometimes I think my life is just one long lesson in never saying "never". I never, for example, ever ever imagined I would crochet a dishcloth. Not so long ago I would have sniggered at the very thought. And yet here I am, having an indecent amount of yarny fun producing stuff like this:

I think this is now my eighth dishcloth (or is ninth? I made some as gifts and didn't get them finished in time to photograph). Mostly it's been just me and a little stitch dictionary and bits of leftover yarn and Doctor Who or something similarly entertaining. I love doing these. They're fast and they give me just enough practice to perfect a new stitch but not enough to get boring. There are only so many dishcloths a family can use, however, and I'm running out of people to give them to, so if anybody wants a long-lasting, environment friendly, handmade thingy to scrub their pots with, let me know.


6 comments:
So you actually give those to people to wash dishes with! Noooo, too beautiful :).
I agree with you. I also learn to never say never! I'm thinking of making dishcloths also, but do they clean well like the spung and the green scrub?
Yep, they're actually really good for washing dishes with. They feel nice in the hand, they scrub well and they last much, much longer than those green sponge things. It was actually the guilt of throwing out a sponge every couple of weeks that first sparked me to do this -- now I have three dishcloths which just get tossed in the washing machine when they start getting icky.
As for them being too beautiful :-) (thank you, takes bow) -- I have an aversion to making stuff that isn't usefu (doilyphobia?). Besides which it feels kinda cool to wash up with something lovely....
Ive used cotton dishcloths all my life.. I love them and use them for eveything.. hardly EVER have paper towels in my house...
Me too! I always though dishcloths were wierd. Why would anyone spend so much time and money on something that would be used to CLEAN? And then I made the mistake of voicing my opinion at a knit/crochet group... and was immediately pounced upon by four women. So, I made a dishcloth to make amends. Then another. And another... I'm totally hooked now!
Heh. I wonder how many yarn (and other) addictions start with disbelief, then wander past "weeeellll I'll try it just this once", and before you know it everyone in the yarn shop knows you by name and wants to see your last project...
Post a Comment